Maintaining the interior and exterior of your home is an important step in keeping the value of your home. When homeowners take steps to regularly clean, update, and check out their home, then they prevent potential damage from occurring. It’s never too late to begin the process of acquiring the tools to do regular home maintenance. When you do, you will extend the life of your home and increase its value. Neglect will lead to your home showing its age and losing its value.
Whether you are a new homeowner or have been an owner for a while, there are maintenance tasks you should complete on a regular basis. By making these chores a part of your regular routine, you will keep your home looking fresh and newer than it is. We’ve compiled a list of the top 40 maintenance tasks smart homeowners complete to keep their home in its best shape.
I recommend these tasks be completed on a monthly basis to keep the home in premium condition:
1. Change or clean furnace filters.
2. Clean refrigerator and freezer thoroughly, including vacuuming the coils of the refrigerator.
3. Remove lint from dryers.
5. Check your smoke alarm to make sure it is still operational.
The remaining chores can be completed within a three-month time span to make it easier to complete.
January, February, March Maintenance
6. Clean heater vents using a handheld vac to get out the surface dirt.
7. Drain hot water heater sedimentation. You can do this yourself by following this video.
8. Check roof for winter damage, missing shingles, etc. (do this in March when winter is over).
9. Caulk shower and tubs. This video will give you step-by-step directions.
10. Check your sump pump if applicable to make sure it is operating properly.
11. Inspect the hinges on your doors and oil them.
12. Check out the trim work around the house and touch up any cracked, peeling paint.
April, May, June Maintenance
13. Have air conditioning unit inspected as you prepare for warm weather.
14. Clean windows and inspect screens for damage.
15. Begin your outdoor yard maintenance such as laying down fresh mulch and planting bulbs.
16. Clean off deck or patio.
17. Touch up deck or patio with stain or paint as needed.
18. Check your downspouts and downspout extensions and make sure they direct runoff water at least 4 feet away from the foundation
19. Check out the concrete all around your home. Are there cracks from the freezing temperatures? If so, you can repair them yourself. This helpful video will guide you.
20. Pressure wash your sidewalks and driveway. Here are some tips on using a pressure washer.
21. Check your foundation vents and make sure they are open.
22. Inspect siding for any visible damage from wind, storms, or hail.
July, August, September Maintenance
23. Change your smoke alarm batteries.
24. Change your carbon monoxide batteries.
25. Have heater ducts cleaned out by a professional for a deeper clean.
26. Inspect your water pipes for leaks, and call a professional if you see evidence of one.
27. Clean or change mini-blinds if applicable.
28. Clean all carpets and rugs.
29. Clean your outdoor furniture and put it in the garage, shed, or other storage building.
October, November, December Maintenance
30. Caulk around the exterior of your windows to keep out the air.
31. Clean the exterior of the house with a pressure washer.
32. Schedule an HVAC tune-up and inspection.
33. Trim bushes and shrubs away from the exterior of the house and roof as necessary.
34. Turn off the shut-off valve to the exterior water
35. Drain water from hoses and remove them for the winter
36. Check to be sure there are no small cracks around the hose bib
37. Check the insulation on your pipes and make sure they are adequately covered.
38. Clean out the gutters, check out this video for steps to do this yourself.
30. Inspect and clean out the chimney.
40. Stock up your garage with winter supplies such as appropriate shovels, rock salt, and so on.
By tackling a few tasks monthly, you will be giving your home an entire update every year. Many of these chores you can do yourself. InterNACHI recommends every home be inspected every year. Contact us to schedule your annual home maintenance inspection.
A Firm Foundation Home and Building Inspection Ltd
65414 Sunridge Ct
Montrose CO 81403